|Chocolate Chip and Toffee Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars|
So guess what? I'm surviving graduate school so far. I've gotten two A's on two of my papers. I just turned in my third paper for the semester yesterday. I have a midterm due next week and two more papers due two weeks after that. So ask me in a couple weeks if I still feel the same way!
My excitement for the fall has been depleted slightly. Every year I forget about the dark mornings. Every morning seems a little darker and I do NOT like waking up before sunrise. It just doesn't seem natural! Also, a cold front is coming through New Mexico so it's cold right now (not the crisp mornings and warm afternoons). And I won't go into trying on last year's fall/winter clothes. But I like scarves!
Anyway, I love it when people send me recipes or ideas. My brother's girlfriend sent me this recipe that she had found online. It's cheesecake and cookie dough together in one. Sounds heavenly right?
This recipe is super easy. If you don't want to make your own graham cracker crumbs, you can buy the store bought. It reduces the time and reduces the kitchen mess, but I still prefer making my own crumbs. I added toffee because I had some on hand and I'll put toffee in anything. The cookie dough is pretty versatile, so you can add in any of your favorite mix-ins.
A very rich dessert and is every bit as good as it looks!
Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
slightly adapted from from My Baking Addiction
For the Crust:
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
5 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
5 Tbs. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 c. light brown sugar, packed
3 Tbs. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 c. flour
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. toffee bits
For the Cheesecake Filling:
10 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil allowing a little overhang and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Mix the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 6 minutes. Remove pan to a cooling rack. Do not turn your oven off.
3. While the crust is cooling, prepare the chocolate chip cookie dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth and thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Mix in the flour on low speed, and mix until just incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla on low speed just until incorporated. Pour the cheesecake batter into the prepared crust. Using your hand to form clumps. Flatten the clumps of dough in your palms to flatten them out a bit. Distribute the cookie dough onto the top of the cheesecake batter. Be sure to use all of the dough. You will cover most of the cheesecake batter.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top feels dry and firm (the cookie dough) and the entire pan looks set if given a gentle shake. Move bars to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
6. Lift the bars out by the overhang; slice into desired size and store in the refrigerator. Serve cold or at room temperature